Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dig Deep, and Peel Back the Layers To Expose the Real Chris Reid That Nobody Knows...*

So, I don’t post very often on this blog. I know this.

I also know that this fact is related to the internal drive- or lack thereof- that has forever prevented me from keeping a journal more than a few days. I’m not at all inspired to write about the minutia of my day. If I think it’s boring, you will, too.

It’s not like I don’t have ideas or anecdotes to share, but I just don’t sit myself down to write (see also: why I’m pretty terrible at answering emails). This is dumb because I really like writing.

However, I really like to ANSWER QUESTIONS. (Perhaps this is a sign of me being a know-it-all?) I have recently reconnected with an old acquaintance (and reconnected in a way that can only happen in the age of Facebook, because I haven’t spoken to this individual in 24 years) and it’s been fun catching up, though “catching up” is hardly the right term since we were barely teenagers when we last saw each other. It’s really just “hitting the high points of our lives with virtual strangers.” But it’s still fun.

In the last email exchange, she asked why I had decided against pursuing art as a career. A simple question, but a loaded one. Now, I’d probably never post about anything like that, because, really, who cares? But she was curious about it, so I wanted to give her a good answer. I tried not to ramble, but I wanted to give a truthful answer. So I thought about it, and even though it was just one facebook message to one other person, I enjoyed having to think about the answer and process my thoughts.

However, I KNOW this won’t necessarily translate into me writing more. I’m too distracted- and that’s my own fault (as well as the fault of the A.V. Club, Facebook, and Slate.com).

So, I have a request. A request to inspire me to write a bit more.

As I said above, I like to ANSWER QUESTIONS. I tend to write novel length answers when a question strikes me, so I want you to ask me questions. I am taking submissions.

Ask the question in the comment section below (on this blog). It can be about anything- my life, my family, what movies I like, why I love a certain musician, why I chose to make a specific decision, my opinion on a political topic, my personal philosophies, a silly hypothetical scenario- whatever you want. But make it a specific question.

I cannot promise that I’ll answer every question. Hell, with my track record, I might not answer any of them. But with some writing prompts, I might just get to posting more, and maybe over the next few months, you’ll be amazed at the deep, personal answer I provide. Or more likely you’ll just be bored, but hey, there’s your answer.

So help me be productive and use my brain more instead of just reading movies reviews on the interwebs.

ONE TWO THREE- GO!!!


*This long title is solely to make my sister giggle.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the most inspiring trait you received from your Daddy? I know what mine is...Love you!

Anonymous said...

How does your identity as a Catholic help and hurt your attempts to improve social justice?

Also, if you had to wear one famous hat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Aubree said...

Where's the best place on Earth to live?

Anonymous said...

Do you want to have children?

Anonymous said...

Why did you choose your line of work?

Anonymous said...

Was getting malaria scary?

Anonymous said...

Are there any plans you are putting off until retirement?

Adam said...

What have I got in my pocket?

Anonymous said...

Putting groceries away: pro or con?

Erica said...

I am having a good time guessing who is asking what question. ie: I am guessing that the last one is Mark Stevens. And the first one is Susan, which makes me want to know what HER trait from dad is.

My first thought of a question was "Ma, what are the giving me?" But that isn't really specific. Or "Hey, what's cool?" but I already know the answer.

So I guess my questions are "What are you most proud of?" and "Do you have any regrets?"

ALSO--best post title ever. You were successful in soliciting my giggles. I also visualized the motions that go along with it.

xoxo
e

Erica said...

OH!
Also, I would LOVE to read the answer to the question that your FB friend asked about art as a career.

Anonymous said...

If you could go back in time and relive one of your favorite days---would you? Is the memory of that day enough?

Anonymous said...

Evil Dead 2 vs. Titanic: While both of these films have a fairly solid following in their own right, they are very different in many ways. For instance, one of these films is an over-the-top conglomerate of silly, unbelievable, heavily cliched, tasteless and often outright nauseating scenes strung together with laughably misguided attempts at sincerity, culminating with a heavy-handed ending so illogical that it makes you think that the writers simply stopped trying, while the other film stars cult hero Bruce Campbell with a chainsaw. Your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Groceries are on the floor as I type!!

Anonymous said...

What would be your top ten list of things about yourself that would surprise others that know at least a little about you?

Anonymous said...

What is the best character from fraggle rock? Worst? Detailed explanations please.

Anonymous said...

If you could clone yourself, would you? Why or why not? Would you change the gender? Make the clone hairier? Would you want the clone to have all your memories? C'mon we need to know this stuff.