Monday, January 29, 2007

iPods and Somalis

OK, so what do iPods and Somalis have in common? They're two of the things that are keeping me busy like no one's business.

I got an iPod video for my birthday. I thought it was fun little gadget until I really started getting a feel for how to use it. And THEN I thought it was FREAKING AWESOME. The drawback of an iPod is that it is a very anti-social device unless you have a unit that converts it into a stereo system. Without that, only you can hear th music, and you can't interact with anyone else unless you know sign language or don't mind looking idiotic and talking WAY to loud. But what really got me excited was when I realized that I could patch it into the old-school ghetto boom box I got back when I was in middle school. Which means it's now crazy shuffle mix in the Reid house 24/7. So I've been busy uploaded all my disks into iTunes. Y'all should come over and kick out the jams sometime.

But what has been keeping me super busy is all the work I've been doing with the Somali familes. On top of volunteering 3 days a week tutoring, I've been helping coordinate and plan a Somali tutoring program for the USC School of Education. We've gotten 20+ volunteers, so I've been looking at schedules, trying to make matches, creating forms, making introductions, going to the aprtments and surveying families and assessing needs. And my God have I been emailing like it's going out of style.

And Erica and Fuzzy came for a visit. More on that later. Bear with me, Dear Readers. I'm busier than I have been in a long time. But I'll return sooner than later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got a student who comes to class every day listening to his ipod. And it's loud, and everyone can hear it, and he's just sitting there, staring into space.

Until I start talking--then he dutifully takes his earphones out and plays English class with the rest of us.