Thursday, September 14, 2006

Art Class, Blanket Suits of Armor, and Board Games

Since it is rapidly approaching THIS weekend, I thought I should write a little about LAST weekend, when we had a lovely visit with our old pals Adam and Sarah May. Now, when I say OUR old pals, I mean Katie’s pals of about 3-4 years and I mean MY OLD PALS, since I’ve known Sarah at least a decade and I’ve known Adam for about twenty years.

I probably first met Adam when I was in the fourth grade. Of course, I wouldn’t say it was much of a friendship at that point. It was more of a “Yay! It’s Adam! / Oh shit, (sigh) it’s Chris.” arrangement. You see, Adam was best buds with Jason Mucha’, older brother of one of my dearest friends, Jeremy Mucha’, better known to my Dear Readers as “Cap’n HardQore”, he of the recent broke-ass jaw fame. Jeremy and I thought nothing was cooler than to incessantly bug Jason and Adam as they tried to mind their own business and play computer games. We would take blankets and belts and basically create suits of armor and storm into the Mucha’s den to attack our helpless victims, who were of course several critical years older than we were, meaning they could beat the holy living hell out of us, generally with bunched up pillows that would knock us across the room. And as annoying as we were, I am quite sure Jason and Adam enjoyed this at least a little bit. And yes, we did break things in these fights. Not bones. Lamps and stuff.

Pillow fight

[Side story about the Mucha’s den: On the wall of the den, there hung two sheathed and crossed swords. Jeremy’s mom must have hearing of superhero proportions, because if we even TOUCHED those things (and we did because, hey- they’re SWORDS) she would immediately show up and very politely but firmly say to us “I’ve told you this a thousand times, do not touch the swords. PLEASE put them down now.” I’m serious. EVERY time.]

Anyway, years pass, and now I am in 9th grade. I walk into my Art class and lo and behold, there is Adam (with Carey Johnson, soon to be a close friend throughout high school, and Mike Ahner, who I had met a few years before and was the first person ever to quite earnestly tell me to f@&# off. True story) Anyway, we looked at each other in absolute horror, but within a day or so, I had been invited over and have counted Adam as one of my closest friends since. Sarah I met after Adam vanished for a few months to escape the aforementioned Carey (by this time his ex-girlfriend) and when he showed up next he had this cool little girlfriend that several years later became his cool little wife. They both like spiders, zombie movies, and freaking out their WASPy suburban neighbors. They’re pretty fun, to say the least.

Adam and Sarah

So we spent last weekend in Charlotte with these folks and had a good time with many of their friends who came over for “Board game night.” Also, we met their greyhound Indy (“We named the dog Indiana’) and saw our other old pals Morgan and NewKitty. And we ate some amazing Indian food. And went to a Greek festival. And came home with a chair.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!

cap'n hardqore said...

yeah, blankets and sleeping bags... man, we got annihilated by those guys. i distinctly remember getting the wind knocked out of me and pretty much just lying on the carpet hoping they'd think i was dead so i wouldn't get socked again. of course, then i'd jump up and try to sock adam and he'd just knock me halfway across the room again. mmmmm

IPW said...

.......... and here I wasted my youth, playing soccer, camping with the Boy Scouts, and going to my churchs youth group. What I really should have been doing was wrapping myself in blankets and attacking my friends! Hhhhmmmm.....Have to remember that for my next go around!

Baldman76 said...

Jeremy, remember the time that you slapped Jason in the back so hard it left a perfect handprint, and in retaliation he slapped you in the back as hard as he could with that huge sausage? It really almost knocked you out.

Hmmm...this comment, if taken out of context, could sound absolutley crude.

And Ian, yes, your's was a wasted youth. Violent pillow fights in unruly costumes was where it was at.

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Great story, and great telling of it. Thanks for sharing.

cap'n hardqore said...

yeah, I didn't want to bring up the sausage incident. there's just no good way to tell that one...

Anonymous said...

A sausage? Did Jean just have sausages laying around the house to use as weapons????