Saturday, September 24, 2005

Gimme Shelter(s)

Today I was (re)certified by the American Red Cross in Mass Care and Disaster Services, which means I can assist in running emergency shelters and other services delivered during disaster situations. I could technically be sent for a three-week stint in the areas affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (or any other major disaster site). Except that I CAN'T actually do that as a student, seeing that a three-week absence would result in failing all my classes. I am available to help with regional disasters, though, such as fires or (God Forbid) a hurricane that hits South Carolina (which has happened planty of times before). But nonetheless, it's a good thing to know and another addition to my resume. I guess I was technically already trained in some of this from my year in the NCCC, but I wanted to get a "refresher," and there was quite a bit of additional information.

No comments: