Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia


The Chronicles of Narnia
Originally uploaded by Waldie's World.
Katie and I went and saw Narnia this afternoon, and I thoroughly recommend this film. With that being said, Katie adored it (her words) and I liked it a whole bunch. I have no major complaints. The story was (to my mind) very faithful to the book. The casting of the children was excellent (and little Lucy is adorable); the effects well-done; the pacing of the plot was very well-balanced, with enough time for character development but without dragging along; and Tilda Swinton as the Ice Queen was appropriately menacing while at the same time exuding an appeal that makes it understandable how someone may be charmed into her clutches (just like, oh, I don’t know- SATAN?!!)

I enjoyed it thoroughly. However, the film didn’t knock my socks off, per se. While everything was good, I found that I just didn’t get “sucked in” to the story so much. Again, this doesn’t mean that I wasn’t engaged by the story, I just wasn’t as emotionally invested as I thought I would be. And though he looked great, the characterization of Aslan the Lion wasn’t quite what I wanted. I love Liam Neeson, but his voice didn’t work for me so much in this film.

With all that being said, everyone should check it out, because it is indeed a good flick, and the messages of the film are good for all ages (messages like: play in your relatives’ expensive antique furniture).

No comments: